Sunday 8 March 2015

Blockhouse & Palisade for French Indian War

I think that this might actually be the fastest that I've ever gone from ordering some MDF scenery to having it finished!  It's certainly very quick to paint.  I assembled it a few weeks ago and undercoated then got the blockhouse and all the Palisades painted in a little more than a morning.
 

 The blockhouse is from 4Ground and the Palisades are from WarbasesWarbases do make a blockhouse but I didn't fancy it for one reason or another and so opted for the 4Ground one.


The 4Ground Blockhouse comes pre-painted.  My paint job isn't as good as this and many might ask why I promptly re-painted a pre-painted model.  Put simply I wanted the blockhouse to match/compliment the palisades.


There is a distinct difference in levels of detail between the 4Ground and Warbases products but then there is a corresponding difference in price too!  It's a shame that there's no detail of boarding or similar on the walkways.  Given more time I would have reached for the balsa and added it but wouldn't this have rather defeated the object of buying MDF scenery in the first place?  I spent a while considering adding some sort of texture but decided against it in the end.  Unless I was to build the palisades into say a polystyrene base to represent earthworks then this would probably look worse than they currently do.  This would allow me to get rid of the ramps which are by far the weakest part of this range with no detail at all to be seen.


I guess that the palisades represent excellent and affordable gaming scenery but they are in a different class to the higher cost 4Ground product.  All that said, I've now got a fairly flexible "fort" that will hopefully provide for everything from small skirmishes to the most that my 6x4 table can hold!

No comments:

Post a Comment